Saturday 8 January 2011

Resolution time.

Pin It

In December, I always think: I'll start off the new year with a bang!  I'll leap out of the gate and get myself organized, gym-going and writing and tidying up a storm.

And inevitably, in January, I'm in a panic, still trying to catch up with leftover work or errands from December, mired in frustration (and often self-pity), wishing I could throw it all away and start fresh again next year.

Can you guess what's coming?


Yup.  Another 2010, post-Christmas Christmas-gifts-related post.  (The almost-palindromic nature of that last sentence should give you an idea of how twisted up my mind is right now.)  Sorry.

However, despite their tardiness, and some might say uselessness in this bleak new time of giftlessness, these little mini-cakes were too cute not to share.


The light brown ones are banana nut bread, and the dark are gingerbread.  Oh, and even though the holidays are over, and we all have to get back to the grind, I do suggest making a loaf of gingerbread if you're feeling down.  This stuff is seriously tasty and comforting.  And who says it needs to be tied to a certain month?  Not I!  I'll be making it again later this year.

But don't worry, I'll also make something new this week, and try to take daytime photos of it, and write a more coherent post about it.  Promises, promises.


Traditional Gingerbread
    recipe adapted from Allrecipes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.

In a large bowl, cream
     1/2 cup white sugar 
     1/2 cup (115g) butter 

Beat in:
     1 egg 

Add:
     1 cup molasses or treacle 

Whisk together in a separate bowl, then add to butter mix:
     2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
     1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
     2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 
     2 teaspoons ground ginger 
     1 teaspoon ground cloves 
     1/2 teaspoon salt 

Stir in:
     1 cup hot water
Bake in the prepared pan, 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan before serving. 
Enjoy the rest of winter– remember, lots of tea and cake make everything seem warmer (if only because of the extra layer of fat some of us are stubbornly adding by the day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you guys, so if you have a question or a comment, or even just a random outburst like OMNOMNOM, please post it here!